- by Katie Hughes
The shield that is found on our website and paperwork has the following significance:
“A shield divided into four quarters containing the red rose of Hampshire, a stock of wheat and
two oast houses signifying Alton’s close agricultural associations and a crossed sword and battle axe
recalling a part of Alton’s history in the clash of arms in the neighbourhood of the Parish Church St Lawrence) in 1643 at the time of the Civic War”.